Tuesday, November 21, 2006

NOSTALGIA - GUILTY PLEASURES VS. SIMPLY DATED

OK, here we go... number two in a series of seven!

Shannon says I should make this one about the Jingle Cats. Maybe... not this go round.

I'm not pressed for ideas. Yet.

OK, here's my music appreciation blog for today:

The Police = retarded
A-ha = enduring pop gem!


Wait.. wait...let me explain! Nostalgia is Fluff - the question is whether it's got the "right" fluff vs. the "wrong" fluff.

let's try another one.

The Turtles Greatest Hits = a turd.
The Ventures in Space = a gem!


Maybe this is getting confusing...let's try a different tack. All right, when we're talkin' old stuff, I'd have to say that the main question is how well the artist or album has stood the test of time. We all have our different opinions on whether a thing is still good, or whether it's become dated. Particularly devisive issues are the Beach Boys and the Carpenters. I really don't care for either one, but a lot of people seem to writhe around in ecstacy when these musical turd/gems get played.

You see... balancing what you like and what is good for you is everything. Yep. It's the whole music is food thing. Musical attributes are like vitamins, or flavor, or whether it sticks to your ribs, or have lots of sugar for a junkfood fix... on and on. Just like how slobs eat crud, smarties eat nutritious food, and then there's the health nuts that eat cruddy nutritious food (new age or modern fusion would the analogy here).

Let's be like the smarties.

The question is not whether it's a handful of vitamins (like Frank Zappa's symphonic work, or an Anthony Braxton record), or a handful of Jolly Ranchers (say, Chumbawamba's Tubthumper or Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause), you've gotta really balance what's good and what's good for you.

Or not. Just throw on that same Pixies record you've heard 34,632 times and forget everything I said.

Everyone else join me tonight by watching this amazing clip from the Dead C. Turn those crappy computer speakers all the way up to ten!



Fortifying, yes?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear!!

November 22, 2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Binulatti said...

Dead C was great, but how about that kickass Snapper video?! Is it wrong? Sometimes I miss the 90's. The vitamin-packed 90's that is.
I am also anxiously awaiting the Jingle Cats post. I just happen to have a copy of "Meowy Christmas" if you need a refresher...

November 26, 2006 9:14 PM  
Blogger pbrchicken said...

I'm actually baffled on that... should I know the Snapper video? Drop me a link!

November 28, 2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger Binulatti said...

Check it
You a fan of The Clean? I should get some of their stuff.

November 29, 2006 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home