Friday, February 10, 2006

Putting the "sham" in Shyamalan

OK, so it's not like it's a new movie or anything. But recently I got a unexplained urge to finally see The Village, by M. Night Shyamalan. Dunno why, wanted to see somepin' creepy I guess. I guess I should have known what I was in for when I checked www.rottentomatoes.com and gleaned such phrases as:

"As a failure, The Village is certainly interesting, but a failure it stubbornly remains."
"A maddeningly miscalculated hack job."
"Every village needs an idiot -- and M. Night Shyamalan is hoping it's you."
and my personal favorite:
"Let not the bad movie be seen. It encourages them."

So, yeah I decided to see it anyway! Why! I don't know! Whoo!

OK, so check it out. Most people would "warn" you about a spoiler... fuck that. Today, I am entirely recommending a spoiler. I will ruin this movie for you and you will thank me for it, before you waste your time and pollute your intelligence with this sham's lack of creativity. Here, get this - the big secret - the big famous M. Night Shyamalan "twist"? It's a fucking Scooby Doo style unmasking!! There. I spoiled it and you are quite welcome.

Oh, it was leader of the village all along, and all the elders were in on it too.. the "good guys" putting on scary costumes with the intent of tricking his village to maintain their little utopian society free from the rest of society. Spiritual creepiness? Meh. This is a routine whodunnit for kids.

I'm no writer, but I do know that when you create a whole new alternate reality and then you blow it by revealing that "it was just a dream," you leave the audience feeling tricked and empty. Don't ya think it's a bit lazy to reveal the supernatural beings were just people wearing scary suits? To say it's a letdown is just too polite.

The thing that occured to me just now.... is just how lame it was when the moment of truth, the obligitory twist, (what's it called? the denuemont?) occured. It was so lame that it didn't even strike me at the time. Get this, we are set in the 1890's, and a car pulled up... a fucking car! and that didn't truly succeed in surprising me really. Yeah, maybe about 5 minutes after that happened I said to myself "ah yes now that would be the twist.. zzz... " Now if that's not bad filmmaking, then I need to buy me a videocamera and get myself an agent!

Speaking of DIY, on his DVDs, Mr. Shammy likes to put little home movies he did as a teen. This DVD had a Indiana Jones ripoff.. I guess it's safe to say he's moved beyond Speilberg ripoffs, he's now moved into Hanna Barbara ripoffs!

I give this movie one finger.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Your review sounds exactly like the opinion of the person *I* watched this movie with! It's uncanny.

February 10, 2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Binulatti said...

...And I would've seen this movie and enjoyed it, if it weren't for you darn meddling KIDS!

February 13, 2006 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home